Last Modified: March 18, 2020
This Policy applies to the https://www.offcampuspartners.com/ website and any associated websites, products, services, and mobile applications (the “Services”). It does not apply to the collection and use of certain employment-related information. If you are a current or former CoStar job applicant, employee, owner, director, officer, or contractor, please Contact Us for the appropriate policy.
When using the Services, you may choose to interact with features from third parties that operate independently from OCP, such as social media widgets and links to third-party websites. OCP has no control over and is not responsible for the privacy practices of such third parties. This Policy does not apply to the extent OCP does not own or control any linked websites or features you visit or use. We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the privacy practices of these third parties.
- Registration and Use of Services Information: Generally, all users must register to use the Services. During registration, students and guests are required to give certain contact information (such as first and last name and email address), certain demographic information (such as school affiliation, school year, and guest type), and create a username and password. In some cases, OCP may receive this information from a school directly, but otherwise OCP collects data input by the user. Students and guests may also choose to submit additional contact and demographic information (such as gender) and other information in using the services, but submission of this information is completely voluntary on the part of the user. We also collect any other information that you may provide during your use of the Services.
- Subscription Information: We request additional information on our subscription signup form from property managers and other individuals who wish to list properties on one or more of the Services. These users must provide additional contact information (such as billing address and phone number) and financial information (such as credit card number and expiration date).
- Usage and Technical Information: We may automatically collect certain usage and technical information when you use the Services (such as IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, number of clicks, and information about the types of devices used to access this site).
We collect Personal Information as defined by the California Consumer Privacy Act, which is information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household.
Personal Information does not include de-identified or aggregate information, publicly-available information that is lawfully made available from federal, state, or local government records, and information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws.
OCP has collected the following categories of Personal Information about consumers in the 12 months preceding the date this Policy was last modified:
- Identifiers (e.g., name, address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, IP address, email address, or other similar identifiers)
- Categories of personal information described in California Civil Code §1798.80(e) (e.g., phone number, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or other financial information)
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law (gender)
- Commercial information (OCP services purchased)
- Internet or other electronic network activity information
- Education information (e.g., university affiliation, class, year of graduation, school/program, major)
OCP may collect Personal Information using the following methods:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us (registration for and use of the Services and participation in voluntary surveys)
- From third parties, such as analytics providers and educational institutions
- Automatically through tracking technologies
Children Under 13
OCP does not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this website or through any of its features, register, or make any purchases. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete it. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please Contact Us.
OCP collects Personal Information from the following categories of sources:
- Directly and indirectly from you
- Service providers
- Educational institutions
We may use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Communicating with you
- Providing you with the Services
- Understanding your roommate preferences
- Maintaining the security of the Services
- Developing, testing, improving, and demonstrating the Services
- Carrying out our legal and contractual obligations and enforcing our rights, including billing and payment processing
- Sending promotional or informational messages regarding our Services and those of our affiliates and third parties approved by your educational institution
- Analytics and reporting
- Short-term transient use
- For any other purpose with your consent
We may disclose Personal Information:
- To affiliates and university partners
- To other users of the Services
- To service providers, which are contractually required to use Personal Information only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them
- To third parties when you use a third party feature in our Services
- To enforce or apply our Terms of Service and other agreements or comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including government or regulatory requests
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of OCP’s assets
- If we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of OCP or others
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide Personal Information
- With your consent, such as when you choose to provide your information to third parties
OCP may also disclose de-identified and aggregate information to university partners and advertisers approved by university partners. Note that if you make any Personal Information publicly available on the Services, anyone may see and use such information.
OCP shares Personal Information with the following categories of third parties and has disclosed the following categories of Personal Information for a business or commercial purpose in the 12 months preceding the date this Policy was last modified:
|Personal Information||Third Parties|
|Identifiers||Service providers, including data analytics providers, operating systems and platforms, educational institutions, advertising partners|
|Categories of personal information described in California Civil Code §1798.80(e)||Service providers, including data analytics providers, operating systems and platforms, educational institutions, advertising partners|
|Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law||Other users of the Services by making gender information available on the roommate profile page|
|Internet or other electronic network activity information||Service providers, including data analytics providers|
|Education Information||Educational institutions|
OCP does not sell your Personal Information.
OCP implements security safeguards to protect your Personal Information. We take steps to secure Personal Information through administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect against the risk of accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
OCP generally retains records only as long as necessary and as required for our business operations, for archival purposes, and/or to satisfy legal requirements. When determining the appropriate retention period for personal information, we take into account various criteria, such as the amount, nature and sensitivity of the Personal Information; potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure; purposes for which we process your personal information; whether we can achieve those purposes through other means; and business operations and legal requirements. Because we maintain our Services to protect from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your Personal Information may be retained in our backup and archival systems for a limited period of time, after which the information will be automatically deleted or put beyond use where deletion is not possible.
You may manage your Personal Information by making certain choices. If you believe that any Personal Information you have provided to us is out-of-date or inaccurate, you may review and correct such information if it is within your online account by logging in at any time or Contact Us. You may also have additional rights detailed below depending on where you live. As a security precaution, we may need to request information from you to help us confirm your identity when exercising a right related to your Personal Information.
Direct Marketing Opt-Out
If you no longer wish to receive direct marketing emails from OCP, you may opt-out through the “Unsubscribe” link in an email at any time. Note that OCP may still contact you regarding Services you have requested from us, account status, changes to this Policy or other terms of service, and to confirm, fulfill and follow up on your registration, service or information request.
If you elect to use our service to share a listing to inform a friend about an available property, we ask you for the friend's email address. We will automatically send the friend a one-time email sharing a link to the information you requested to be shared. We store this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email. The friend may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the removal of this information from our database.
Cookies, Research & Reporting
You may disable or delete browser cookies through your browser settings. Cookies are generally easy to disable or delete, but the method varies between browsers. To learn how you can manage Flash cookies, visit Adobe’s Flash player settings page. If you disable or delete cookies, or if you are running third-party software that intercepts or deletes cookies, please note that some parts of our websites may not work properly. Our websites currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” requests through mechanisms such as web browser signals.
If you live in California, you have the right to: (1) request that OCP disclose what Personal Information we collect, use, disclose, and sell; (2) request deletion of Personal Information; (3) opt-out of the sale of Personal Information; and (4) not receive discriminatory treatment by OCP for exercising these rights.
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your Personal Information. To make a request on your behalf, an authorized agent may Contact Us by email with proof of your written and signed permission to do so. Note that OCP may also require you to verify your identity and confirm that you gave permission.
Requests to Know
You have the right to request that we disclose the following information:
- Specific pieces of Personal Information OCP has collected about you;
- Categories of Personal Information OCP has collected about you, disclosed about you for a business purpose, or sold;
- Categories of sources from which the Personal Information is collected;
- Categories of third parties with whom OCP shares or to whom OCP sells Personal Information; and
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting and selling Personal Information.
To make such a request, please Contact Us by email, call us toll-free at 877-895-1234, or submit the request through our Web Form. Once your request is made, OCP will need to verify your identity and ability to access the account in which you’re requesting information from. The easiest way to do this is to log into your OCP account, choose Help and then Contact Us. Fill out the Help form and press send to submit.
Requests to Delete
You have the right to request that we delete Personal Information about you that we collected and maintain, subject to certain exceptions. To make such a request, please Contact Us by email or call us toll-free at 877-895-1234 or submit the request through our Web Form. Once your request is made, OCP will need to verify your identity and ability to access the account in which you’re requesting information from. The easiest way to do this is to log into your OCP account, choose Help and then Contact Us. Fill out the Help form and press send to submit. Once we verify your request, we will delete and direct our service providers to delete your Personal Information, unless an exception applies.
"Shine the Light" Request
California residents may also have the right to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please Contact Us.
"Eraser Law" Request
If you are not 18 years old, but you are a registered user of the Services, and you submit information to the Services that is visible to other users, you may remove, subject to certain exceptions, Personal Information that you submitted by emailing us at email@example.com. Please understand that removal does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information that you have posted on the Services.
Nevada residents may have the right to opt out of the sale of Personal Information we have collected or will collect. To make such a request, please Contact Us.
This Policy may be updated periodically to reflect changes in our privacy practices. We will post changes on this page and identify the date the privacy notice was last modified at the top of the page. If we make material changes to our privacy practices, we will notify you through a notice on the home page of the websites covered by this Policy. If a material change will apply to Personal Information we have already collected, we will additionally seek your affirmative consent.
c/o Off Campus Partners, LLC
PO Box 5664
Charlottesville, VA 22905-5664